Translate

Monday, October 3, 2011

Larry Clark

Went back up to jmoca this past weekend to hear a lecture given on Larry Clark's Tulsa series. The lecture itself was not all that interesting, but it was nice to hear about Clark's background and how the series came to fruition. I identify with Clark-if what the speaker said about him is true. How his feelings of isolation and need to feel connected led to destructive, counter instictual behavior (in my own words).  In my work, I'd choose to focus more on the pressures and problems faced by teenage girls.  Clark also apparently feels as though he has no relationship with his father.  Something I can identify with and which I think is a problem faced and improperly dealt with by many people.



This is my favorite image from the series. The angles in his back and the fluidity of the boys arm are just breathtaking.  The dark undertone is obviously implied, but isn't as blatant as in the other photos in the series.  The lighting also gives a luminous, uplifting quality to the photo somehow.
http://museum.icp.org/museum/exhibitions/larry_clark/

No comments:

Post a Comment