Translate

Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Artist Statement

I am interested in the struggle within a person between evil & good, darkness & light, black versus white.  I’ve become obsessed with the darker aspects of my psyche craving to see, touch, and feel protruding bones. Entrenched in my obsessions, I am bewitched by the idea of disappearing into a strangely isolated place.  To combat these urges, I descend back to the sensory world through my work.  The velvety feel of charcoal, the fluidity of ink, and the hardness of metal all provide a resting place for my unrelenting thoughts. The softness of the charcoal and ink on pure white paper, counterbalanced by the heaviness of the metal helps me to further draw on the concept of duality.  Movement is just as essential to me as the feel of something. I enjoy caressing the charcoal into the paper, just as much as forcing the metal into a sharp angle. I compulsively draw and shape these angles in an attempt to exorcise my own fear of losing control, and obsessively make work to give me a sense of identity and presence. By constantly experimenting, I satiate my desire for continual growth and change.  Through the act of creation I’ve found a place that joins the meditative and sensual worlds I inhabit.

No comments:

Post a Comment