Translate

Monday, July 15, 2013

what it all boils down to


 I am a lucky person.
  "It is true that, on having reflected for some years now that scarcely anything was to be gained by being so, I have begun to be somewhat merry because I have been told that that is good for one's health." (Letter to the Abbé Trublet, April 17, 1761).(Letter to the Abbé Trublet, April 17, 1761). Voltaire to the Abbe Trublet from April 17 , 1761. This interpretation is from a statement in French translated by Barbara Bray and Helen R. Lane in 1979. The French quote is this: "Ayant fait reflexion depuis quelques années, qu'on ne gagnoit rien à être bon homme, je me suis mis à être un peu gai, parce qu'on m'a dit que cela est bon pour la santé."  This is believed to be the original source for the quote attributed to Voltaire "I've decided to be happy because it is good for my health." 
http://video.pbs.org/video/2300857107
wonderful video courtesy of PBS. 

No comments:

Post a Comment