Translate

Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Avocado Dye

Recently I made an avocado dye bath. I used a very simple recipe that I found here https://ruthsinger.com/2013/10/01/natural-dye-avocado/ . I didn't use any skins, though I had intended to but I left them too long and they got too moldy. I instead just cut up 4 avocado pits. I simmered the pits and water for about an hour, and then added muslin pieces of varying thickness. I then simmered the fabric for an hour and left them to soak over night before hanging them on the line to dry. I've not yet set the color, but plan on using a 1/2 cup vinegar and 1/2 cup water mixture to set some of the fabric.
After simmering for two hours, this is what the pits looked like. 

Trixie made a cameo appearance in this one with Xingxing. 


I then dyed another group of fabric in the remaining bath and left it for two nights. This batch came out much lighter, I guess something happened with the heat of the stove to intensify the color of the first batch. I am glad I used as many pits as I did, I would like to get deeper colors next time. Maybe add more pits and simmer for longer. I'd also like to try some different fabrics. 

1 comment: