Translate

Sunday, January 7, 2018

Art Nouveau

I've recently been researching Art Nouveau because of a print I bought from the Kelmscott Bookshop that was printed with a woodblock made by William Morris. I read this article, What is Art Nouveau?, among other sources, that does a nice job laying out and explaining the movement with timelines and influences. I had not known of the relation of the ukiyo-e and Art Nouveau. The idea of the world of ukiyo was important to me in college. I also had designed a potential sculpture for a public park in St. Augustine, Florida directly inspired by my research into Gaudi's work in particular. I have both my BA and BFA in Fine Art from Flagler College. Flaglers' grounds include the old Ponce de Leon hotel that Henry Flagler built, that features window designed by Louis Comfort Tiffany. The hotel, as one would imagine, shows Art Nouveau influence. It is nice when things spiral together.

Louis Majorelle, late 19th century, fruit wood with marquetry, 50 x 27 1/2". Nancy, France. The Walters Art Museum.
The Dream of the Fisherman's Wife, or Girl Diver and Octopuses, Diver and Two Octopuses. Hokusai, woodblock print, 1814. 19 x 27cm. 
Poster for La Trappistine,Alphonse Mucha, color lithograph, 1897. 206 x 77cm. The Mucha Foundation.
The Story of Cupid and Psyche, William Morris, Illustrated by Edward Burne-Jones, London: Clover Hill Editions at the Rampart Lions Press, 1974. The print I mentioned from the Kelmscott Bookshop here in Baltimore. 

No comments:

Post a Comment