Translate

Saturday, February 16, 2019

Providence

Uploaded YouTube video for the final segment "Providence" off of the album F#A#∞ by Godspeed You! Black Emperor (note this is included on the compact disc version. a different arrangement than the vinyl).  This album was recorded in Montreal at Hotel2Tango. The vinyl was released in August of 1997, while the CD followed in June of 1998. Suffice to say this whole album was beautiful in both its bleakness and redemptive qualities, but I was particularly taken with the Providence segment. More notably the final track at the end after a long period of silence. I had a very transcendent experience listening to the kick in of that portion one time. This was another 'song to cry to'

The previous segment on this album "East Hastings" bears personal significance as well. When I was living in St. Augustine, I used to go for long drives at night when I could not sleep. Sometimes I'd drive north on A1A along the beach, sometimes I'd drive south on A1A following the beach, but the most special drive to me was heading west on route 207 towards Gainesville. There was something really magical for me about it. The trees, the air, the land, the buildings..but on my drive I would pass through Hastings, Florida, which I think of when reading the title of this song. The town before it was called Spuds, and there were potato farms there.

No comments:

Post a Comment