Translate

Monday, April 22, 2019

The Sacro Bosco, or Sacred Wood

Gardens of Bomarzo

https://www.gardenvisit.com/gardens/sacro_bosco_villa_orsini

Related imageOf all the features in the gardens that I've found photos of, this leaning house is my favorite. It reminds me of a ride I used to go on when I was a little girl at Dutch Wonderland in Lancaster, Pennsylvania. Riders would enter the house and strap themselves into a swinging bench. The house would then start turning. Even though the bench would only swing, and the house was the only thing turning, it was still pretty wild for me.

Another interesting connection that I made with this garden, is to Guilia Farnese , an historical female figure I have been drawn to in the past. Guilia was the maternal grandmother of Pier Francesco "vicino" Orsini's beloved wife who passed away, also Guilia Farnese. It is thought that features of the garden are odes to her and he constructed this garden to deal with his grief at her passing. Synchronicity.
Image result for giulia farnese
"A Young Lady and a Unicorn," by Domenichino, c. 1602, Galleria Farnese. Portrait of Guilia Farnese

No comments:

Post a Comment