Translate

Monday, May 4, 2020

In Progress Scroll

One of my main projects during my time in Wales was this paper cut scroll piece. While cleaning out/organizing artwork from college this past summer, I stumbled upon an old long form scroll I made in a drawing class in college taught by Leslie Robison. It featured paper cuts of me in these big blue headphones (the only painted part of the scroll) I always wore and a phoenix traveling throughout. I didn't realize it at the time, but looking back the phoenix was very symbolic. I realized I wanted to revisit this medium. Well I took a scroll to Wales with me, and this is the result. It was easy to throw in my bag, and lug across the country. A visual diary of my journey in paper cut form. I used an X-Acto knife to cut out the shapes. There is a lot of personal symbolism, that resulted from my feeling like I was in a fairy tale. I read Welsh folk and fairy tales to prepare me for my trip- a sort of theme and angle to attack the country so to speak. Perhaps it is unsurprising that exploring and creating my own developed narratives was a theme during my time there. The dragon is the unifying character throughout the scroll, due to my personal affinity for them (them representing me/my transformation- first a phoenix in college, now a dragon on a journey) and that the dragon is of major cultural significance to the country. I didn't finish it at the residency, but have a written list of additional elements to add. 




Sleeping baby dragon with sleeping baby lambs. My favorite dragon so far. 

Red kites- love my raptors 


No comments:

Post a Comment