Translate

Tuesday, February 2, 2021

Hip Dips

 

Hip Dips (Coffee, Black Walnut, and Sumi Ink on paper)


This past fall I got into dyeing with black walnuts. I have stared at a black walnut tree out back for years and never picked up any of the fruits to dye with. Yet this year I did, and especially got into making black walnut ink. I found a great book in the library called "Make Ink: A Forager's Guide to Natural Inkmaking" by Jason Logan, and went off of his recipe. This painting of my hip dips is one of the results that sprung from one of my little ink batches.  

I made some short videos for the Baltimore County Public Library on how to forage and dye with black walnuts. The virtual services department edited them together and gifted me a squirrel. I made a little mistake when talking about ripeness of fruit-the more brown the fruit the more ripe they are. But super easy recipe and pretty results. Black Walnut Dye

No comments:

Post a Comment